Tuesday, February 10, 2015

all the lunches....

Timber and I were sitting across from each other eating lunch today when I started thinking about all the lunches I've prepared for my kids.  It's one of my least favorite "Mommy duties" and yet one that must be done every. single. day.  So many lunches.....so very many lunches have been prepared over the past seven years.

I thought about lunches three years ago when Flora was 4, Scout was 3, and Timber was 1.  Those lunches were repetitive but always very healthy.  Lots of fruits and vegetables cut into tiny pieces for little fingers to put into little mouths.  Always something from every food group crowded onto their small plates.  There wasn't a lot of chatter but usually plenty of giggles and goofing off.  Messy faces and messy hands.  Half the food on their plates left untouched.

Lunches now are much quieter.  On school days it's just me and T and we eat whatever we feel like eating that day.  Sometimes we'll go out for lunch and sometimes we'll eat at home.  Sometimes he wants yogurt and fruit snacks for lunch and sometimes I just shrug my shoulders and give him yogurt and fruit snacks.  He talks nonstop about Angry Birds or he eats quietly while lost in thought about whatever has captured his little mind.  Flora and Scout are eating their lunches in a noisy cafeteria surrounded by friends and classmates.  Half the time I have no idea what they're eating for lunch....but I know they will come home starving. 

And then I thought about what lunch will be like next year.  Next year, Timber will be at preschool on Tuesdays and Thursdays so it will just. be. me. eating lunch. Maybe I will read a book and use a butter knife to hold the pages flat like I used to watch my Grandma do.  Maybe I will meet friends for lunch or maybe I'll forget to eat lunch and just snack all day.  It will be very quiet.  We will all eat our lunches separately.  And I felt sad about that.....but not unprepared.  Because we've had our lunches.  We've had years of lunches -- lunches with giggles, lunches with tears, lunches in front of the tv, lunches in the car, lunches with runny noses, lunches outside, lunches downstairs, lunches at the park, lunches at the zoo, lunches when it's raining, lunches when it's snowing, lunches in costume, lunches with friends, lunches with Daddy.....all those lunches. 

All the lunches we've had together make me feel okay about all the lunches we won't have together.  And so even though making lunch will never be one of my favorite responsibilities I'm glad that I've had the opportunity to spend so many lunches with my favorite little kiddos. 

No comments: