Saturday, December 19, 2009

Flora and Dora

I must confess that I was slightly anti-Dora before I really got to know her.
Dora the Explorer is a cartoon about a bilingual little girl who goes on various adventures with her best friend, Boots (a monkey). Flora LOVES Dora. When Dora says "Wiggle," Flora wiggles. When Dora says, "Jump," Flora jumps. When Dora is not giving specific instructions, Flora usually looks like this:

Or if Dora is being particularly amusing, Flora might look like this:

And if Flora is at a friend's house, she watches Dora like this:

She would probably watch Dora all day if I let her. I try to limit her to one Dora per day . . . sometimes two. I'm okay with Dora now that I've seen how much Flora learns from her Dora shows. For example, I discovered a few days ago that Flora can count to seven in Spanish. She skips the number four, but I don't correct her. She IS counting in Spanish, after all.

However, my FAVORITE Dora story happened last week when Flora grabbed her little purse, went to the door, and said, "Vamonos Mommy! Let's go!"

No comments: