Saturday, December 12, 2009

A Well-Timed Sucker

We went to get Flora's and Scout's second and final H1N1 shot on Thursday . . .
*cue dramatic, ominous music*

The vaccine is so abundant now that most people are getting it at their doctor's office, but 1) I'm cheap and didn't want to pay the $30 copay (x2) for office visits, and 2) I didn't want to wait for the free H1N1 vaccine clinic our doc is offering on December 31st. So, I packed snacks, books and an extra shirt and hoped for a shorter wait this time.

***Remember, last time we waited 3 hours and then Flora threw up on me after getting her shot. Fun times. So, I was not looking forward to this trip, but I was excited about finally being done with it all.

What a difference four weeks makes!! When we got to the clinic site, there was NO wait!! We filled out our paperwork and went right in to see the nurse. Since most of the "target groups" have been vaccinated, Chris and I were given the option to get the vaccine too. So, Flora and Scout rolled up their sleeves and Chris and I pulled down our pants . . . . wait, reverse that . . . . Chris and I rolled up our sleeves and Flora and Scout pulled down their pants and we all got tiny little dead viruses injected into our bodies. The immune system is such a weird, cool thing.

A well-timed sucker resulted in a VERY short crying spell and we all left the building smiling and amazed at how easy this trip was.

And, WHEW, we're DONE!! This has been the season of the flu shot for the Borkert family. Poor Scout has taken the brunt of it. He leads the family with 4 flu shots, Flora is right behind with 3 shots, and Chris and I are tied with 1 shot each. I'm sure all the anti-vaccine people are gasping in horror . . . but I'm okay with that. Have a sucker . . . it will make you feel better.

No comments: