Sunday, May 23, 2010

hm?

As I sit here typing, Elmo, a pony, a monkey, and a race car driver are all staring at me. My graduate school diploma is hiding behind various Barney and Veggie Tales DVDs. There is a smudgy hand print on my newly cleaned window and chocolate on my white couch.

I think that being a mother to toddlers means doing most things at least twice before they really get done and saying everything at least a dozen times before the message gets across. Flora's favorite new word is "hm?" In Flora-language, "hm?" means "I heard what you said but it was not what I wanted to hear so I am going to continue saying 'hm?' in hopes that you will eventually give me a different answer."

I'm not complaining though. Flora and Scout are a lot of fun and (pathetic, but true) two of my best little friends. We laugh a lot during our long days at home and have some sweet little lovey moments too. Scout is turning into quite the entertainer. He's subtle, but he likes to make people laugh. He'll often come walking into the room with a blanket over his head and quietly wait for someone to notice him and laugh. Of course, making Flora laugh is the biggest prize of all in his little world.

So I will absolutely enjoy these fun little toddler years, but I also know that a day is coming in which there won't be farm animals and furry red monsters staring at me -- and that kinda makes me happy too. But it's silly to wish for those days because once those days come I will be wishing for these days back. Seasons . . . you can't change them or avoid them . . . you just have to enjoy the one you are currently in because unlike seasons of weather, most seasons of life only come around once.

No comments: