Wednesday, May 12, 2010

potty monster strikes again

Having a potty trained child is great, spectacular, wonderful, blissful --- or is it?? Trading diapers for the potty creates a new set of challenges. I had anticipated some of the issues (like being home bound during our "training session") but others took me by surprise (like walking in on Scout trying to wipe Flora after she had pee-peed in the potty).

Yes, little Scout had a handful of toilet paper and was dutifully trying his best to help Flora clean up. He is very interested in this new potty game we all play and for good reason -- every time Flora goes pee-pee or poo-poo in the potty he ends up with an M&M. He practically drags her to the bathroom every ten minutes, waits patiently until he hears "the sound," and gleefully shouts "Bye-bye, Pee-pee!" at the flushing toilet before running to the M&M cabinet. I know it's bad, but what kind of mother would I be if I denied him an M&M just because he still pees involuntarily??

Of course, Flora is totally playing the M&M game too. She will go sit on the potty and TRY TRY TRY until she can produce a tiny tinkle in order to earn her M&M. Needless to say, the M&Ms are almost gone and they will NOT be replenished. She's just going to have to learn to pee-pee in the potty for the sake of pee-peeing in the potty. Or whatever.

Another surprise of potty training has been wedgies. Diapers don't really "wedge," so I'm sure the feeling was a bit of a shock to Flora. She had a concerned look on her face as she tried unsuccessfully to unwedge her panties and said, "Mommy, something stuck in my bum!" I was tempted to let her struggle for a while since it was so amusing, but decided that would be mean. After all, one's first wedgie might be a rather traumatic experience if not handled properly.

Overall, I am surprised at how well potty training has gone. We owe our success to Mel and Callie for proving that it IS possible to potty train a child before junior high (after an unsuccessful potty training attempt a while back I decided I was not trying again until she was a 7th grader --- you can read about this bad experience with the potty monster HERE). I'm also relieved that my potty training work is done. After all, it's the Daddy's job to potty train the boys, right???

No comments: