Monday, October 24, 2011

I'm flyyyyyyyyying!

Hey, I've got a great idea!  Let's pack a whole bunch of people into a skinny metal tube with a pointed end and hurl it javelin-style across the country.  Or across the world.  Shoot, we'll hurl it anywhere the group of people collectively decide to go (as long as they pay us for the ride). 

Seriously, air travel is absolutely amazing and completely insane.  It was ludicrous for man to dream he could fly and ridiculous that he actually accomplished that dream.  Flying -- FLYING -- is now a mundane event for many people.  We say things like, "Oh, I'm FLYING to Dallas tomorrow" and fail to grasp what an astounding feat we are describing.  That we are able to soar over cities and mountains and rivers and farmlands boggles my mind.  We peacefully float over a picturesque world as we are transported from one place to another.  Is this a dream??  Have you ever dreamed you could fly?  Not like "I Have A Dream" dreaming, but a real dream where you are really able to fly?  Flying dreams are so cool.  I haven't had many but I remember two flying dreams very vividly -- it was awesome to fly.   

Today I flew for the 9th and 10th times and my face was plastered to the window the entire time.  It's a good thing we had to change flights and switch which side of the plane we were sitting on, otherwise I would have ended up with a serious pain in my neck.  I don't seek out opportunities to fly and I'm never excited about upcoming air travel but once I'm actually in the airplane I'm totally a fan.  Take-off is my favorite.  It's such a rush!  You zoom, zoom, zoom faster and faster and then you're up, up, up and away!  I have a goofy grin on my face during take-off.  Watching the houses turn into neighborhoods, then cities, and then disappear under a blanket of clouds feels more like a dream than reality..... 

Speaking of clouds -- I have to give major props to our pilots today.  When we landed in Dallas the fog was so thick that I only saw the runway seconds before we landed on it.  I thought we were in a cloud and would soon drop out over the city before landing, but no.  I said, "Oh!  That's the runway!" and then our wheels were touching down.  Of course, they probably had a better view from the cockpit but I was still impressed that pilots with all their technology can basically land a plane blindfolded.  I'm glad I didn't know how foggy it was -- I probably would have been nervous.  As it was, I only had about two seconds to be nervous about landing in such foggy conditions. 

I could go on......but I won't.  I'll simply summarize by stating that I am completely in awe of air travel.  And acapella.  Have you watched The Sing-Off????  These people make MUSIC with their VOICES.  Drums, guitars, cellos, violins, crickets (yep, there were cricket noises on tonight's show) -- blows my mind!!  People are so talented!  Hm.....must have been a very creative Creator to create such creative creators.  Just sayin'.    

I'll stop now.  Silly rambling blog post.  The kids are with my parents all week so I don't have my usual material to work with.  Today's blog was brought to you by the letter A -- air travel and acapella.  We'll see what tomorrow b-b-brings.

Ok, now I'll really stop. 

No comments: