Monday, May 21, 2012

just call me clyde

On Saturday, we packed up some clothes and the kids' bedtime stuff and drove to Brandon, SD to stay the night with another church planting couple.  We were going to attend their early church service Sunday morning and decided that it would be easier and more fun (and a nice change of pace) to stay with them instead of waking up early on Sunday and making the 45 minute drive to church. 

We arrived at the house, met the people we would be staying with, and started unloading our stuff from the van.  Scout carried his little pillow into their guestroom, looked around, and then asked, "Is this where we're going to live now?" 

Kinda funny, kinda sad.  It amused me that he thought we were going to live there and he was totally okay with that idea.  Kids are so resilient.  Obviously, they don't really understand why we are in South Dakota and telling them we'll be going home in "a few weeks" goes right over their heads.  All they know is that we live here now but we will be going back to our home someday.  And they're fine with that.  Sometimes they miss home but most days they just play and eat and sleep -- carrying out their little lives just like they would at home. 

Two more funny stories:

Flora was having some bathroom issues recently and called me to come into the bathroom.  This story is a little bit gross but I think we can all relate.  When I got in there she said in a confused voice, "Mommy, I thought I was just going pee-pee but then I coughed and poo-poos came out!"  Yeah, I know it's gross -- sorry about that -- but the way she described it really tickled me.

And Scout said something really random today.  He was hugging me and then he pulled back to look at me and said, "I love you, Mommy.  Sometimes I like to call you Clyde."  I asked him to repeat himself several times to make sure I was understanding him.  When I asked why he wanted to call me Clyde he just giggled.  It may always remain a mystery....