Thursday, May 17, 2012

a tale of three sickies

I love how different all the kids are.  They've been sick again this week with some kind of fever virus.  It's a sudden, high fever that lasts about a day.  Timber was the first one to get sick.  He probably had the worst of it since he was dealing with the high fever plus some major teeth coming in, lots of snot because of the teeth, a cut on his lip that made it painful to eat, and even a random bloody nose!  He was understandably grumpy but easily distracted from his misery when Daddy started playing cars with him.
 
Flora caught the bug next.  We're in such tight quarters here that I knew it was only a matter of time before the other kids caught Timber's fever.  There's not exactly a great place to quarantine a sick kid here -- Flora and Scout's room doesn't have a door.  I guess I could put him/her on the top bunk and take away the ladder......haha, maybe next time.  So, Flora had a fever and you would have thought the world was coming to an end.  She was miserable, needy, and difficult to please.  I tried to take a picture of Flora sick on the couch today but she protested vehemently.  So much drama in that one!  She spent most of the day on the couch with her blanket and pillow.  Even now that her fever is gone she's still trying to milk her illness for all it's worth.  "Mommy," she says, "I think I'm still very sick because I have coughs."  I haven't heard a single cough out of her.  Then she said, "I don't think I can eat anything big yet.  Can you give me just one carrot."  So she ate one baby carrot for breakfast.  And then her pillow fell off the couch and she called for me to come get it for her.  She could have reached it herself but she's "sick."  And this is all today, the day AFTER she had her fever.  She wants to still be sick today so that she can pick what we watch on tv.  We watch a lot of tv on sick days.....we've watched a LOT of tv in South Dakota! 

But today is Scout's sick day.  Scout is very different when he's sick.  He prefers rolling around on the floor to lying on the couch or bed.  His reply when I ask him how he is feeling is always, "Fine" -- even though I just measured his temperature at 104 degrees and he's shivering like a puppy in a bathtub.  He prefers to be left alone when he's sick.
 
I always feel like I take better care of Flora when she's sick because I'm able to DO so much to make her feel better whereas Scout basically just needs me to give him medicine every once in a while.

I'm feeling good today because I know that we're almost through this round of sickness!  Timber is all better (except for those pesky teeth that are still trying to push through), Flora is mostly better (although she would say otherwise, I'm sure), and Scout's fever seems to be subsiding some (of course, he's been "fine" all along).  Looking forward to healthy days so we can get out of the house and find some more fun things to do in South Dakota!!!  And probably pick up more germs along the way...