Saturday, January 4, 2014

2014 -- i yam

I'm going to start 2014 by getting two things off my chest.  Two things that I have recently accepted about myself. 

1.  I am a messy person.  We are a messy family.  Our bedrooms are rarely clean.  And though I do my best to keep the living room/dining/kitchen areas presentable the truth is that they're usually pretty messy too unless someone is coming to our house.  I've abandoned my lofty ambitions of keeping all the bedrooms clean and the guilt that visited every time I failed -- they'll get cleaned every week or two and I won't care about the mess in between.  Because, really, why should kids have clean rooms??  A tidy house is a boring house.  I mean, where's the thrill in opening a closet if there's not a chance that something will fall on you?? ;)

2.  I like to stay up late at night and sleep late in the mornings.  I thought this would change once I had kids.  And then I felt like I should change those habits because sensible adults go to bed early and wake up early.  But now I've realized that I don't have sensible adult sleeping habits and there's really no reason I should.  I will stay up past midnight any time I want and on the weekends I will sleep as late as the kids will let me.

This is going to be a good year.  :)

So, now, back to the kids ---

This year we decided to celebrate New Year's Eve with the kids.  We knew Timber wouldn't last but were fairly certain Flora and Scout could stay up until midnight.  We built a fire, played The Game of Life, watched some tv,  and ate ice cream cones as we waited for the big countdown.   As predicted, Timber crashed around 10pm. 

With a few minutes until midnight we instructed Flora and Scout on the proper way to carefully toast with glass cups and poured some sparkling grape juice into two little whiskey glasses for them.  We started counting down from 20 seconds, shouted HAPPY NEW YEAR at midnight, and clinked our drink glasses.  There was jumping and dancing.....and by 12:04 Flora was fast asleep on the couch.  Chris was asleep soon after Flora and I was left with a crazy-eyed wide awake Scout.


 

 

I read somewhere on facebook that the way you ring in the New Year is a predictor of how your next year will go.  If that's so then 2014 will be another year of silly, sweet kids and barely controlled chaos.  Good times....

One of my 2014 resolutions is to blog more.  That doesn't mean I will blog more but a girl can hope, right??  ;)