Sunday, September 22, 2013

showers

Before kids, I didn't put much thought into showers.  I took a shower every morning -- easy peasy, no big deal.  I could wake up slowly and start the day at my own pace.

But now I have kids.....

So I set my alarm early and HOPE that I can make it through an entire shower without interruption.  If it's a REALLY good day I make it through my shower AND get completely ready before any of the kids wake up.  But it doesn't always work out that way....

Here's a quick recap of three of my morning showers THIS WEEK:

Shower 1.  Timber came to our room while I was in the shower.  It was very early.  He was still very tired and grumpy.  He sat on the rug outside the shower and cried, "No shower, Mommy!  Get OUT of the shower!" during my entire shower.  It was awesome.

Shower 2.  I made it through my entire morning shower with no kids showing up!  Hooray!  But as soon as I turned the water off I heard Flora yelling for me from her room.  When I got in there she said, "Um, I feel wet."  Yep, she'd peed her bed and apparently the feel of pee on her skin renders Flora completely helpless.  It's been over a year since she's had a nighttime accident but of course it happens right AFTER I get clean.   

Shower 3.  Today I showered later since it's Sunday and we don't have to get up before sunrise to get ready for school.  So all three kids were wandering in and out of the bathroom the entire time.  Timber whined and grumbled about me being unavailable.  Flora asked a lot of obvious questions ("What are you doing?  Why are you taking a shower?  Do you have soap in there?").  And Scout had to poop.  He announced that he had to "go" right after I'd gotten into the shower so I just told him to go in my bathroom toilet which is conveniently located right outside the shower.  He "went" (with Flora, Timber, and me for company in the bathroom) and I wiped his little bum from inside the shower.  Seriously.    

On the bright side, only three bad showers means that I had four UNinterrupted showers this week! 

And in case you're wondering why I don't just lock the bathroom door --- our master bathroom is open to the master bedroom (whoever thought this was a good idea should be banned from designing homes forever -- I mean, c'mon, WHEN WOULD THIS EVER BE A GOOD SETUP???).  I could lock the bedroom door but that would just result in the first kid awake crying and banging on my bedroom door and waking up the other two. 

So, that's the way it is.  But it's temporary -- and actually quite amusing if I can keep a good attitude about it.  I mean, how many people get to start their days with such exciting and unpredictable showers??