Monday, January 2, 2012

today

There was nothing very special about today.  Nothing to make this day stand out in my mind years from now.  In fact, I'd guess that the entire contents of this day will be completely forgotten in less than a year's time.  It just seems so sad to think that all of the laughs and growing up that took place today will vanish into the vault of time so soon. 

I'm listening to piano music so of course I'm feeling nostalgic and sentimental.  Is it even possible to listen to piano without a lump in your throat??  Not in my experience....

So I want to preserve a few little moments from the day.  Because I don't want to forget how Scout put his pajamas on inside out and fell over from laughing so hard.  Or Flora's intent expression as she make a perfect bed for Olga and tucked her in to sleep.  I definitely don't want to forget the perfect kiss -- kissy noise and all -- that Timber planted on my cheek before bedtime.  I want to remember Scout crawling into bed with me this morning and gently stroking my cheek when he thought I was asleep.  And the BIG hug Flora gave me tonight -- her perfectly pudgy little arms wrapped tight around my neck.  I don't want to forget the way Timber ran and threw himself into my arms when I sat in the hallway and held my arms out to him.  I want to remember that I had the opportunity to carry all three of my babies at some point today.



There were a lot of not-so-lovely moments today too......a LOT.   But I don't mind forgetting those.    

No comments: