Wednesday, October 17, 2012

warning: brag blog

Flora is our little artist.  She LOVES "artisting" and is really very good at it.  This is a picture she drew for our new baby neighbor, Logan.  She was trying to draw a dog like the one on her sketchbook cover.  I was amazed at how well she did.    
She's also picking up many "grown up" words and phrases.  She has learned the days of the week and some units of time.  And she asks the meaning of EVERY word she doesn't know -- even some words that she knows how to use but doesn't exactly know the meaning.  Like "probably" and "pretty" (as in pretty good, pretty big, etc).  She keeps me on my toes!  Some of those words are hard to explain!

Scout loves letters.  I think we all know that by now.  And he's basically taught himself to read.  Seriously.  I bought a package of 70 sight words in the $1 Spot at Target thinking it would be a fun thing for us to practice while Flora is at preschool.  He already knew half of them.....sounded out most of what he didn't already know......and I had to help him with about 10 words.  I was shocked.  I knew he could read some words but had no idea he was THAT good.
Yellow and Exit were two of the words he already recognized.  He's been interested in numbers lately too.  He held up a 42 and asked if it was "forty-two."  Then he switched the numbers to a 24 and asked if it was a "tooty-four."

Timber's most obvious skill right now is copying Scout.  If Scout runs in circles, Timber runs in circles.  If Scout sings a song, Timber sings a song.  If Scout eats a banana, Timber eats a banana.  Consequently, Timber is also very interested in letters and numbers.  He recognizes about half of the alphabet and can count to 10.
If Scout wears shoes and pants and no shirt, Timber wears shoes and pants and no shirt.  This could be very useful when potty training time comes around.

Chris can shave!  Who knew???  He actually knows how to use a razor and shaving cream.  I think the only time I've seen Chris clean-shaven was once or twice in college.  And I'm positive the kids have never seen this sight before. 
I'm pretty sure this won't happen again for another 10 years so I took a picture -- just to remind him that it IS possible.  

And I can do this.  That's right -- crossed eyes AND fish lips.  You know you're impressed.
Haha, this is another one of my I-was-so-bored-in-the-hospital-with-Timber pictures.  

Ok, brag blog is over.  In summary -- we're awesome and we know it.   :-)