Tuesday, February 2, 2010

conquering the bean curd

Tofu... the Final Frontier. These are the explorations of the mothership Mommy. Her ongoing mission: to explore strange new foods, to seek out new protein sources and new vegetable recipes, to boldly go where no man has gone before.

(If you've never watched Star Trek then please disregard the previous statement)

I am reading a recipe for tofu nuggets. (Add that to the "things I never thought I would be doing" list.) I've long been disgusted with my kids' love of bologna and have recently begun exploring other protein sources. It turns out that they LOVE black beans and I am fairly confident that black beans are much healthier than bologna. So, that's been a success. Maybe it was this little taste of success that prompted my rash action at the grocery store yesterday . . . I bought a package of tofu.


I'm just not sure what to do with it though. Do I just cut it up and give it to the kids? Should I prepare it somehow? How do people eat tofu??? I'm a big fan of tofu in my hot and sour soup, but beyond that my tofu experience is zilch. I guess you could call me a tofu newbie.

But the tofu nuggets sound kinda yummy and not too difficult to prepare . . . I guess I'll start there. There's an awesome website dedicated entirely to tofu meals for babies. (What did moms DO before Google?? How did anyone know how to be a parent without the Internet??) I also read about cubing the tofu and rolling it in crushed Cheerios. Definitely easy. Or there's the option to cube the tofu and soak it in broth for a while to absorb some flavor . . . I could do that.

So with some trepidation and a bit of nausea (hey--it's all slimy and jiggly . . . gross!!) the tofu experiments begin. Tune in next time to discover if I have conquered the bean curd or if my limited culinary skills are rendered useless against its overpowering blandness.



Also, in case I don't blog again before Sunday: GO COLTS!!!!!!!

No comments: