Thursday, February 4, 2010

grumps

What a day . . .

Scout decided not to sleep last night . . . at least not to sleep in his bed or in our bed. I discovered that the only way he would sleep was lying on my chest while I sat on the couch. I did this for a while and tried to slip him back into bed but he started crying. So Chris took a turn with Scout on the couch . . . and then I took a turn . . . it was a long night. Naptime today did not leave me optimistic for a good night tonight either. Does anyone know why 1-year-olds suddenly stop sleeping?? He's been an excellent sleeper for some time now.

Maybe it was the lack of sleep that led me to go against my better judgment and take the kids to storytime at the library this morning. Scout fussed off and on during the story reading and Flora decided to explore the library instead of listening to the story. It could have been worse . . . she only knocked the books off of ONE shelf, after all. I ended up pushing Scout out of the library in his stroller and carrying Flora on my hip while both of them screamed and cried. Having worked at the library during many storytimes, I didn't feel bad about my kids' behavior. It was actually kind of nice to be on the mommy side of the situation. True, I had to go home with the little grumps (and believe me, the grumps did not stop when we left the library), but I prefer that to being at work all day while they are grumping at someone else.

But I'm hoping that they can grump at Chris for a while this weekend so I can return to the library for a more serene, grown-up library experience.

No comments: