Monday, August 23, 2010

honesty

I'm not a big fan of babies. Surprised? Yeah, I guess that's understandable considering the fact that I keep acquiring them. Babies are okay but there's a secret part of me that always longs for the day when they can sit on their own. I consider that to be the first step towards toddlerhood. Once they can sit on their own, they can see the world better, interact with their environment easier, and generally don't cry as much. It's horrible, isn't it? What kind of mother doesn't like newborns? They usually look funny too, but I won't hold that against them -- I look rather funny during the first few months postpartum too. I am going to try my hardest to enjoy the newborn phase with B3 (a.k.a. He Who Has Not Been Named) since he will be our last baby, but I know I will still breathe a sigh of relief on the day that he precariously balances on his diaper-clad bum and sits on his own.

Flora, on the other hand, is such a good little mommy. She will mother ANYTHING. Last week we went to McDonalds for lunch and she adopted a French fry. She gently carried it around the house, rocked it and sang it to sleep, and tucked it into bed with a napkin blanket, saying, "I love you so much!" occasionally. It was slightly disturbing to watch, but I wasn't about to come between Flora and her "Fry Baby." Seriously -- "Fry Baby." She's an odd one. She's going to LOVE her new baby brother though. She tells me that she will "hug him and kiss him and play with him" -- and I really do think she will. Probably not at first. At first, the shock of having a wrinkled, squawking, wriggly thing in the house absorbing all of Mommy's attention will probably override any nurturing impulses Flora has towards the baby, but eventually, once he gets a little bit more interactive, I think she will have a lot of fun helping me take care of him. That's the plan anyway!!

Poor Scout doesn't realize that his little world is about to be rocked. He loves his mommy and I don't think he's going to enjoy the competition. He will probably throw trucks at the baby. Or try to sit on him. We'll see. I'm sure I'll have plenty of new material to blog about once B3 finally makes his appearance!

No comments: