Saturday, August 28, 2010

New Baby Resolutions

1. I will take pictures of B3 when he is crying. Crying babies are cute but no one ever thinks to grab the camera when a baby is crying. And maybe more sleeping pictures too . . . to remind myself during the sleepless nights that he IS capable of sleep.

2. I will adopt a more middle-of-the-road approach to feedings. I will not be overly structured about time and length like I was with Flora, nor will I just let him eat whenever he feels like it for however long he feels like it like I did with Scout. Somewhere in the middle sounds good.

3. I will not worry about his belly button. The stump will fall off when it is supposed to and it will not get infected . . . and if it DOES get infected then we'll deal with it. There is no reason to spend any amount of time thinking or worrying about belly buttons. And the same goes for the circumcision site.

4. If B3 needs phototherapy to clear up his jaundice, then I WILL take pictures of him wearing his little sunglasses. Those things are pretty cute! Chris and I have often lamented the fact that we never took pictures when Flora and Scout were "under the lights." Scout even had a cool Star Trek-ish bed at our house with a little space suit thingy to wear. It was cute -- in a medical-intervention sort of way -- but I never took a picture of him in it.

5. I will let Flora and Scout touch, poke, kiss, and practically smother their new baby brother. I don't think they could really hurt him, even on accident, but I will always be there to intervene if the poking and smothering go too far. I want them to feel like the new baby is theirs too -- not just Mommy's new toy.

6. I will shower at LEAST every other day. After Flora was born, I was so proud that I still got a shower in every day . . . after Scout was born I reconciled myself to the fact that bathing every other day would have to suffice. I am NOT letting B3 add another unwashed day to my week!! Where there's a will, there's a way, right?

7. I will still do fun things with Flora and Scout after B3 is born, although it will require considerably more effort. But hey, isn't that what baby slings are for? -- conveniently toting around the youngest child to the older siblings' adventures!?!

8. I will TRY to remember to feed myself and Flora and Scout at regular intervals in the first few weeks after B3 is born . . . no promises on this one! Other shaky resolutions include getting us all dressed every day, keeping the house clean, and keeping up with laundry.

9. I will not rush B3 into bigger clothing just because it it cute and I can't wait for him to wear it. He will only be tiny for a short time so I'll enjoy his tiny clothes while they still fit him. Of course, the opposite is also true -- I will not try to squeeze him into clothes that are too small just because I'm not ready to pack them away for good!

10. And finally, I resolve to continue to blog after B3 is born even though my free time will be significantly decreased. I suppose you can expect to see more blogs posted in the middle of the night . . . I hope he won't mind me typing while he eats!! :-)

No comments: