Monday, August 30, 2010

scout and flora

I am quick to attribute the differences in Flora and Scout to their respective genders, but I know that many of the differences have more to do with personality than gender.

Two interesting observations this week:

Scout, Flora, and I went to the park on Saturday since it was such a gorgeous day. After sliding and playing in the sand for a while, they decided it was time to swing. I put them both in the baby seats (Flora likes to use the "big girl" swings now, but they were in the sun and too hot) and started pushing. Flora immediately starts saying, "Too high, Mommy! Too high! Slower!" So I slow her down some and continue to push Scout higher and higher as he grins and giggles. Scout is soaring while Flora is barely moving.

Friday night, the three of us went on a walk together. The thought of pushing the double stroller was not appealing so I decided we would try just holding hands. It worked fine -- they were both very good about holding my hand and we had a pleasant walk. The funny thing was that instead of walking next to each other we were practically in a single-file line. Scout was charging ahead, holding tight to my hand but getting as far ahead as he could without letting go. Meanwhile, Flora was slowly strolling and commenting on all the plants and animals that she observed as she was being gently pulled along by Scout and me. Gender and personality aside, I think they were both living up to their names on this walk! Scout was forging ahead and blazing the trail while Flora was picking up flowers and sticks and naming the ants.

Whether due to differences in gender or personality (or, more likely, both), I was amused at these two situations. I think I will see these same scenarios played out in different ways over and over in the years to come. The challenge with Flora is to give her little pushes now and then to encourage her to try new things and "swing higher," whereas Scout may need to be encouraged to use more caution in some situations.

No comments: