Sunday, April 17, 2011

be afraid.....be very afraid

Public restrooms scare me. 

Not because of the germs or the smells or the weird people who may frequent public restrooms.....public restrooms scare me because I never know what my kids will say.  One time Flora embarrassed me by giving a loud play-by-play of what she heard the woman in the stall next to us doing. 

"Mommy, what is that noise?  Is that lady going pee-pee?  Why is she going pee-pee over there?  She has lots of pee-pees, Mommy.  Mommy, but who IS that lady?  Does she live here?  Who will wipe her, Mommy?  She flushed!  Is she all done, Mommy?" 

Of course, then I have to answer these questions about the lady next to us because if I don't answer the questions they will just get louder and more urgent sounding. 

"Those are bathroom noises.  Yes, she is going pee-pee just like you are.  She is going pee-pee over there because there is another toilet over there.  Hmm.  I don't know her but I'm sure she doesn't live here.  Grown-ups wipe themselves.  Yep, um, probably." 

*sigh* 

I try to answer as quietly as possible but I'm sure "that lady" heard enough to be amused. 

We only use public restrooms as a last resort.  Fortunately, we haven't had too many public restroom experiences.  However, Flora HAD to go today at Sam's Club so she and I left the boys to do the shopping and headed for the bathroom.  Besides a few comments upon entering the bathroom ("Mommy, what's that stuff in the toilet? It's kinda dirty in here, Mommy. Why is that girl laying down up there? (The girl was getting her diaper changed.)) Flora was fairly quiet....until the end.  She finished 'going' and waited in the stall while I went too.  Flora chose that moment in a restroom full of people to announce, "Mommy, I'm kinda scared of your bum!"  

I can't say that I was shocked.  And I also can't say that I was particularly embarrassed.  It's just the stage of life that I'm in right now -- it won't last forever....and when it's over I won't have nearly as many funny stories to tell.

Also, I've heard that when I was Flora's age I would wait until my aunt was undressed in a changing room and then I would crawl under the door and run away.  So, yeah, it could be worse!  Not reaping any of that yet, thankfully!!

No comments: