Monday, April 11, 2011

bffs

We were all shopping for Scout's ring bearer suit in Dillards when it became apparent that Scout was afraid of escalators.  The plan was for Chris to take Timber downstairs in the elevator (since Timber was riding in the stroller) while I took Scout and Flora for a fun ride on the escalator.  However, Scout took one look at the escalator and declared that he would not go down "that thing."  So he went to find the elevator with Chris and Timber while Flora and I had a fun ride on the escalator.  We had to wait a while for the boys since the elevator was on the other side of the store.  When they finally came into view Scout and Flora walked quickly toward each other with arms outstretched and hugged for a few seconds before continuing on like nothing had happened. 

I asked Flora about the hug later and she told me that she had thought Scout and Timber were lost.  It made me realize how little they are ever separated.  Except for the occasional trip out with Mommy or Daddy, Flora and Scout are only apart during naptime and bedtime.  Even that is about to change though.....the new plan is to move Scout and Flora into the same room for a while until Timber is old enough to share a room with Scout.  I think that move will happen sometime this week!!  I'm certain that I will have two very sleep deprived kiddos for a couple weeks until they learn to actually sleep in the same room instead of playing all night.

We ate at a pizza place last week and the kids were given a small bowl of applesauce to eat with their mini pizza.  Since we had only ordered one mini pizza for them to share we only got one bowl of applesauce.  I told them to share and they started out by taking turns eating the applesauce.  Soon it moved to taking turns feeding each other applesauce!  Each of them would very carefully get applesauce on the spoon and gently place it in the other's wide open mouth.  They've obviously been paying attention to how I feed Timber! 

While watching them feed each other applesauce I asked, "Flora, who is your best friend?"  She cut her eyes toward Scout and jerked a thumb in his direction.  Then I asked Scout who his best friend was and he pointed over his shoulder at Flora without ever turning to look at her.  Neither said anything out loud in response to my question -- it was as if they didn't want the other to know! 

I'm glad they're best friends.....and kind of sad because I know that they probably won't stay best friends forever.  I can't imagine brothers and sisters having much in common past the elementary stage.....but maybe.  And then there's Timber who I assume will eventually steal Scout away from Flora.  Poor Flora.  Maybe she needs a sister.......
Nah, she'll be fine.

No comments: