Wednesday, April 6, 2011

two pennies and three squirrels

 
These are the baby squirrels we found in the tree we cut down this weekend.  See how tiny they are compared to someone's hand??!!  They were so cute but they made me so so SO sad.  I knew I couldn't take care of them and I didn't think anyone would accept rescued squirrels because, let's be honest, squirrels are kind of a pest.  So I assumed they would die.  It made my heart hurt to think about them starving or freezing to death when they had previously had such a cozy life in their little nest with their Mommy.  Baby animals remind me of my own babies.....I think that is why I was so sad about it.  It made me think about baby Timber being hungry or cold.

ANYWAY, now that we're all sad.....

I didn't think there was anything I could do.  We left them in a box with all their nest bedding overnight because we really didn't know what else to do with them.  That night, I prayed for the little squirrels while also apologizing to God for praying about something so silly when there are so many big important problems in the world.  

The next day, Chris suggested I try looking into wildlife rescue organizations in Kansas City to see if they might take the baby squirrels.  They were still alive after 24 hours but we knew they couldn't make it on their own since their eyes were still shut and they didn't have teeth.  While searching online, I read that the best thing to do when you find baby squirrels is to leave them in a box by the tree for the mom to come find.  We had done that without even realizing we were doing the "right" thing!  Finally, I found a wildlife rescue organization that would take baby squirrels but it was located about 35 minutes from our house and we had small group that night.  I called and left a message that I would be bringing the squirrels by first thing on Monday morning but secretly wondered if they would still be alive by then.  A few minutes later, I received a call back from one of the wildlife rescue volunteers who said she lived near me and could meet me to pick up the baby squirrels in a couple hours if that would be more convenient for me!  Um, YES!  She met me at a location only 10 minutes from my house and had all the equipment and supplies to start feeding the babies right away.  I was so happy.
"Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God.  Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered.
Don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows." Luke 12:6-7
Things just seemed to fall into place for these baby squirrels after I prayed about the situation.  I don't think God had an overwhelming interest in my squirrels but maybe He was trying to get a message across to me.  He was so faithful and so good to take care of my baby squirrels who have very little value, so maybe I should trust that he will be faithful and good to take care of me -- a child that He loves.
Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?"  Matthew 6:25-27
   

No comments: