Thursday, August 18, 2011

scavenger hunt

Flora and Scout went on a scavenger hunt!  This was a really fun activity for them that was really easy to plan.  Actually, the "planning" was kind of fun too -- it was basically just me drawing pictures on a piece of cardboard.

So this was their scavenger hunt list (don't judge my artwork!).  I put a big laundry basket in the living room and as they found the items on the list they put it in the laundry basket.  They only had one list so teamwork was a requirement of this game.


As I suspected, Flora took control of the list and the marker.  She sent Scout on assignments and he would bring items to the basket and she would check it off the list.  Occasionally there were items that she wanted to get herself though.  Mostly the girly things or the things she considered to be "grown up" things.

Once they checked off everything on their scavenger hunt list we went through the basket to look at the things they found.  It was fun!  A good rainy or snowy day activity for sure.  We don't have any of these new Crayola Dry Erase Crayons and boards but I think those would be great for this game because then we could make scavenger hunt list after scavenger hunt list without using every piece of cardboard I own (I don't own a ton of cardboard). 
 Anyway, this was just a fun little activity that I wanted to share.  It was inspired by an episode of Blue's Clues, Flora's new favorite show.  She's so funny -- she'll yell the answers at the tv and talk to Steve and Joe like they are really her friends.  She even wrote a letter to Steve and put it in an envelope to mail to him.  Hm....I guess it's about time I wrote her a return letter from "Steve" and put it in the mailbox for her to find....she'll be asking soon if he's written back yet!

No comments: