Wednesday, August 22, 2012

arts and crafts

Flora asked me what the next holiday was.  I told her Timber's birthday was the next holiday (because does Labor Day really count as a holiday to a 4-yr-old??) but she told me that birthdays weren't holidays (if birthdays don't count then I'm sure Labor Day wouldn't count).  So we decided that Halloween was the next holiday.  She nodded, disappeared down the hallway, then came back with several sheets of construction paper.  I was given very specific instructions to cut out "a pumpkin WITH a stem, a witch hat, and a ghost with hands."  I did my cutting and she again disappeared into my bedroom where all the art supplies are kept.  Scout came bounding up to me with two orange pieces of paper and asked for pumpkins too.  I cut.  He disappeared.  Hm.....what could they be up to back there??

They made these completely on their own (after I cut the requested shapes).  Flora's witch-ghost and jack-o-lantern are glued to purple paper and decorated with stickers.  Scout created a whole scene by gluing stuff to an old piece of foam board he found -- he told me the brown parts are the roof (with a pumpkin on the roof), the jack-o-lantern is inside the house, the green is the carpet, and the black is the driveway.  I was pretty impressed with their creativity!  Of course, if Timber had been awake I'm sure he would have added a few scribbles to each project.

I've been crafty lately too!  And I'm not usually crafty so I feel the need to brag a little bit.  I finally made my kitchen window look pretty.  It's been ugly for a very long time.



And then I made this wall decoration to hang above my dining table.  It's been a bare yellow wall for years. 
I went through a minimization phase a while back.  Everything came off the walls, the mantle, and every display surface.  I think it was a result of Flora and Scout getting old enough to destroy things.  It was nice for a while but now I'm ready to look at pretty things again.

Hooray for plenty of inspirational ideas on Pinterest!  I'm trying to talk Chris into working part-time at Hobby Lobby (helloooo discount!!!).