Sunday, May 24, 2009

Kids and Guns

Disclaimer: I'm NOT a big fan of guns and I don't usually let my kids play with guns..... Ah, now I have your attention!!

This weekend we had a huge yard sale to get rid of the mountains of unnecessary stuff that had accumulated in closets, corners, cupboards, crevices, and chests. (I also found stuff in places that begin with letters other than the letter "c", but once I started with "closets" and "corners," I just couldn't stop. Sorry.) As usual, my weeks of hard work and tough decisions were met with Chris' cries of
"We can't sell this!"
"We should really keep this for _____."
"I've been looking for this!"
"I might use this someday!"
"I bought you those!"
I'm not sure which one he used to defend his decision to pull the toy guns out of a 25 cent box, but I'm sure I just rolled my eyes and said, "Whatever, Honey."

So, that is all the background information you need in order to understand why my 6 month-old and 1 year-old were playing with toy guns in our garage on a hot Saturday afternoon.
Do we need the guns? No.
Did I put the guns in the garage sale? Yes.
Did Chris pull them out of the sale for us to keep? Yes.
Did I put them BACK in the sale after he went inside? Hmmmm.....probably.

But back to the kids with the guns......

I absolutely cannot watch violent movies or tv, so Flora and Scout do not really know what guns are or what to do with them. It was interesting to watch them play with the guns. Scout somehow knew just what to do with it. He held it the right way and even had a finger on the trigger part of the time. I know he didn't actually KNOW what he was doing, but it was still amusing to watch him hold the gun.




For some reason, Flora assumed the gun's purpose had something to do with her hair. She put it in her hair and acted like she was brushing it or curling it or.....something. Maybe a gun DOES slightly resemble a curling iron..... or maybe when you are a very girly 1 year-old EVERYTHING has to do with your hair......


Then she decided that she should curl Daddy's hair.........YIKES!

This is NOT a photo opportunity that comes along everyday, believe me!

One good thing about letting your kids play with guns......we didn't have any problems with theft at our garage sale!!!

3 comments:

Sara K. said...

HaHA!

Deb said...

Of course, Scout knew exactly what he was doing. He was daydreaming about the days when the buffalo roamed the plains...and probably wondering why he didn't have a cowboy hat! I might need to take care of that in a few weeks. :)

StephC said...

You know I have the same rule. NO GUNS. We have never had toy guns unless you count water guns and nerf guns. Some how some way though boys know what to do with them. I discovered the same thing happens with princesses. You may never show Flo a princess flick but she will figure out which is which and want to dress like them without the help of Disney.