Thursday, September 16, 2010

a busy morning . . . and something to ponder

Sometimes we have playdates at Jack's house on Thursday mornings. Jack's house is also where Flora and Scout may spend a short bit of time when Chris and I head to the hospital to have this baby. The plan is for my mom to drive up to KC as soon as possible, but since this is my 3rd delivery, I'm assuming that I won't be able to wait around for 4 hours for her to arrive before heading to the hospital. Also, I don't expect her to jump in the car if I call her at 3:30am . . . That is where our good friend, Stephanie (Jack's mom), has graciously offered to step in and help. She will watch Flora and Scout until Mother can get here to take over. Since I don't want them to be completely confused by what is happening, I've been talking to Flora and Scout about how they might go to Jack's house "while Mommy and Daddy go to the hospital to get our new baby."

We haven't had a playdate at Jack's house in a while but thought we were going to go today. Flora asked where we were going when I pulled out clothes and shoes for her to wear and I told her we were going to Jack's house. She got a really excited look on her face and asked, "And you and Daddy will go get our new baby at the hospital?!?!" It was so cute! I had to disappoint her by telling her that it wasn't time to get the new baby yet, but that it would be very very soon. "Maybe in one or two or three days," I said (hopefully). "Ok," Flora replied, "but our baby is probably getting really really hungry. He needs to come out of your belly so we can give him some food to eat. Maybe some yogurt."

We didn't end up going to Jack's house at all because Jack had an eye doctor appointment so we went to browse around Target instead. Flora wanted to walk and promised that she wouldn't run away, so I agreed. She was so good! She stayed close and although she often stopped to look at or touch things she would always come when she was called to catch up. She didn't even ask for anything. I was pretty proud of her.

Scout, on the other hand, threw a monster tantrum in Target over a little firetruck. It was a cute truck and didn't cost much so I might have bought it for him if he hadn't thrown such a fit about it. Scout very rarely cries like that. He's usually so laid-back and easy-going that I was a bit shocked at the top-of-his-lungs screams he was producing! Luckily, Thursday morning is a pretty slow time for Target, so we didn't disturb too many customers.

Scout's Target tantrum made me think of how we are with God sometimes. If he had been willing to put the firetruck back on the shelf when I asked him to, then I might have gone back for it later because I really did want him to have it. He couldn't let go of it though, so I couldn't give it to him. How many times has God denied us things because we aren't willing to let go of them? Or maybe just not willing to let go of wanting them? I don't know . . . just a thought that occurred to me while writing about Scout's tantrum so I don't really have any developed thoughts to offer on the subject yet . . . but it's something to ponder. :-)

No comments: