Monday, September 13, 2010

watermelon tongue scissors

It has become increasingly difficult to rock and sing to Flora at night due to my watermelon-sized belly. She often shifts around, trying to find a comfortable position and almost always winds up basically sitting on top of my belly with her arms around my neck and her head on my shoulder. Obviously, sitting on top of her brother will be a no-no when he is no longer in the womb, but for now this seems to be the most comfortable position for all of us. A few nights ago, the baby was especially active as I was rocking Flora. After a few minutes, she said, "Mommy, something keeps kicking my belly!" I told her it was our new baby in my belly that was kicking her. "Oh," she said, "and we need to get our new baby a toothbrush." I'm not sure where the sudden concern for his dental health came from, but I assured Flora that when he was old enough to have teeth we would definitely get him a toothbrush.

I realize that one of my duties as "Mommy" is to kiss boo-boos and make them all better. I've been kissing Flora's boo-boos for a while now and Scout has finally caught on to the game. I'm not sure he realizes it's a game though . . . he's actually VERY serious about getting any and all boo-boos kissed, whether they actually hurt or not. Sometimes he'll fall, run to me for a quick kiss on his arm or leg, and then run back to playing. Obviously, I don't mind kissing boo-boos. It's actually one of the perks of my job usually. However, we had an interesting situation arise today when Scout fell and bit his tongue. He dutifully came to see me on the couch with his tongue pushed out of his mouth. I tried air-kisses and kisses on his cheek instead, but he was very focused on getting his tongue kissed. Chris laughed as he watched Scout intently grab both sides of my face with his little hands and press his tongue on my face (I don't think he actually got my mouth as I was trying every evasive maneuver I could think of to avoid it!!). I could have just left it at that, but Chris was just laughing too hard, so I asked Scout if he needed Daddy to kiss it too . . . then it was MY turn to laugh as I watched Scout come at Chris with his tongue sticking out!!

Flora is a good big sister. As she and Scout were getting their toy bracelets out of the kitchen drawer, I heard her tell him, "No, Scout, you can't play with those scissors 'cause they are very very dang'rous." Scout is a good little brother too. He replied, "Ooo-tay, Flora." They both came back into the living room without any scissors.

No comments: