Tuesday, December 28, 2010

24 1/2 hours

Twenty-four and a half hours! We spent 24 1/2 hours in the car during our Christmas travels!!! I am SO glad that I did not add up our travel time before we left -- I may have changed my mind about the whole thing and just stayed home.

I know a lot of people were praying for our trip and I am thankful for each prayer! Our 24 1/2 hours of travel time went so much better than I ever imagined 24 1/2 hours in the car with a 3-year-old, a 2-year-old, and a 3-month-old would go. All three kids were stellar travelers and thanks to Dora, Diego, and other fictional friends available on DVD I don't remember hearing a single whine or fuss!

We barely missed a couple of winter storms but had clear weather for all of our journey (besides a heavy fog when we left Colorado Springs, but it was 5am so we would have been in a heavy fog regardless of the weather).

All of my prayers for a safe, HEALTHY vacation were answered despite two sick family members in Colorado and two in Arkansas. Flora and Timber developed runny noses but nothing worse. I can't imagine how miserable it would have been if all five cousins had gotten sick in Colorado, so I was immensely relieved when we left Colorado without any sickness. And I was amazed when we left Arkansas without any sickness since the kids always seem to get sick when we visit Siloam Springs! On our third day in Colorado, a family member informed us that she had thrown up during the night and hoped it wasn't a stomach virus. Oh my goodness!! Can you even imagine a stomach virus in a house with five small children and six adults!!?? That would have been blog-worthy for sure!!! --but I'm happy to be spared the experience.

Although twelve days away from home was starting to take its toll by the time we left Arkansas, our Christmas travels were overall a success! We had lots of fun but we're all SO happy to be back home. I prefer our 10-minute bedtime routine to the hour or more it took to get the kids to sleep in Colorado and Arkansas.

Looking forward to some boring days this week!! Sometimes boring isn't so bad.

No comments: