Wednesday, December 8, 2010

they make me smile :-)

Beautifully Different. Think about what makes you different and what you do that lights people up. Reflect on all the things that make you different – you’ll find they’re what make you beautiful.

My kids do a lot of things that light me up -- can I only pick just one? This will be tough . . . maybe I will pick just one thing from TODAY that made each of them beautifully different.

We went to storytime at the library today for the first time in FOR.EV.ER and Flora and Scout both had a blast. There were stories, songs, a movie, crafts, stickers, stamps for little hands, and new books to take home when it was all over. Our storytime lady (and friend), Ms. Kathryn, passed out bells for one of the songs and Flora's eyes lit up! Last night we went to see Mr. Stinky Feet at a different library and Flora never got picked to be in his "band." It was possibly her first experience with that kind of rejection. She handled it well, but I thought she was a little bit sad. So NOT being in the band last night made being in this storytime band all that more exciting for her. I was sitting in the back watching as she jingled her bells for a while and then she turned around and came back to me with the biggest smile on her face. When Flora REALLY smiles her whole face lights up. I'm sure it's impossible to NOT smile along with her although I've certainly never tried! And then we came home and she brought me a stick and asked me if we could play "Limbo." Her quirkiness also makes me smile. She's a strange one and often full of drama . . . but we love her that way!

Scout is known for his stellar hugs. He gives the best hugs. I don't know how he got to be such a good hugger since I'm sure we taught him and Flora to hug in the same way. Today I put him in bed for his nap and he started asking for various toys to be put into his bed with him. After I thought I had him settled, I headed out of his room. As I was just about to close the door, he yelled, "MOMMY, WAIT! Come here!" Rolling my eyes, I went back into his room expecting another toy request, but found him standing on his bed with his arms thrown wide open. "Mommy," he said, "I want a hug!" And that made me smile.

I don't know much about Timber yet, but he still makes me smile. He loves to "talk" to me with goos and coos and ows. His eyes sparkle when he smiles his silly baby smile. He's warm and soft and squishable. My editor tells me that "squishable" isn't a word . . . it obviously hasn't cuddled Timber. He is nothing if not squishable! He's also heavy and he likes to be held a lot . . . but really, I can't think of a better way to write this blog post than with Timber's face snuggled into my neck like it is right now. Did I mention he's warm? Love it!

Ok, so I didn't exactly follow the prompt today . . . oh well.

No comments: