Wednesday, July 27, 2011

calf roping

Calf Roping (according to Wikipedia)         Pajama Time (according to me)       
         
    

The calves are lined up in a row and moved through narrow runways leading to a chute with spring-loaded doorsThe kids are running and/or crawling down the hallway and through the kitchen.

The barrier is used to ensure that the calf gets a head startWhat?  Seriously?  No.....the children do not get a head start if I can help it.

Timing is criticalAgreed.  There is a small window when they are tired but not TOO tired.  If you let them get too tired you might as well admit defeat and put them to bed fully dressed.

The rider must lasso the calf from horseback by throwing a loop of the lariat around the calf's neckOk, well, I don't lasso my kids.  I think I could get thrown into jail for that -- not that I've never had the urge.  I've perfected my technique over the years and now rely on the clothesline grab.  Here's how to do it:  Nonchalantly place yourself near the path your child is on and as he runs by swoop an arm down, catching him across the belly and zooming him in the air.  He thinks it's fun and you've got your calf!

The calf must be stopped by the rope but cannot be thrown to the ground by the rope. If the calf falls, the roper loses seconds because he must allow the calf to get back on its feetHA!  Amateurs!  Never EVER let the child get back on his or her feet!  Keep at least one hand on the child at all times or you will have to start the whole process over.

When the roper reaches the calf, he picks it up and flips it onto its side. Once the calf is on the ground, the roper ties three of the calf's legs together with a short rope known as a tie-down rope or "piggin' string."  "When the mother captures the child, she lies him down and flips him onto his back.  Once the child is on the ground, the mother shoves two legs and two arms into pajamas and secures with a zipper and a snap."

The horse is trained to assist the roper by slowly backing away from the calf to maintain a steady tension on the ropeThe father is not trained to assist the mother and slowly backs away from the wiggling child to maintain a steady tension between him and his wife.  
 

When the tie is complete, the roper throws his hands in the air to signal "time" and stop the clockOh, I absolutely do this.  I didn't realize I was imitating calf ropers until recently but this has long been a tradition of mine once everyone is pajama-ed.  It just feels right.

Top professional calf ropers will rope and tie a calf in 7 seconds. The world record is just over 6 secondsI have never dressed a child in 7 seconds but I bet I could dress a wiggling child faster than one of those cowboys could! 

No comments: