Monday, July 18, 2011

jewelry and treasure -- trucks and bugs

You may have seen this story on facebook already.....
While watching Chris use an electric drill (and covering her ears the entire time), Flora said, "Boys like tools but girls don't -- girls like jewelry and treasure."

Jewelry and treasure!!?!??  Haha...seriously, the stuff that comes out of that girl's mouth amazes me sometimes.  Where did she come up with that?  I rarely wear any jewelry at all -- I'll usually throw on a pair of earrings before we leave the house but that's it.  I don't even wear my wedding ring most of the time because rings just feel weird.  So where does she get the idea that girls love jewelry?? 

And treasure.....the only treasure that I can imagine she knows about is the pirate treasure that some of her cartoon shows talk about.  Do girls like pirate treasure?  Well, I suppose I would get pretty excited about a chest full of gold bars but how does she know that? 

It's a really funny thing to say  -- "girls like jewelry and treasure" -- she's such a girly girl.  Today I heard her doing something in my room and I yelled, "Flora, what are you doing?" 
"Nothin'!"
"But what are you doing?"
"Just nothin'!"
"But WHAT are you DOING?"
"I'm just doin' nothin'!"
Any mom worth her salt knows that this is a clear indication that she is "doin'" something that she is not supposed to be doing.  I found her in my bathroom trying on different shades of lipstick.  Oh boy...

After we watched fireworks on the 4th of July I asked the kids before bed if they were going to dream about fireworks.  Scout said, "Yes!  Fireworks and trains and dump trucks!" and Flora chimed in and said, "And I will dream about fireworks and butterflies and flowers!"  People who say that there are no inherent gender differences beyond the physical differences have obviously never had kids.  All of our toys go in one toy box but every day I see Scout choose the trains and trucks and cars and Flora plays with the baby dolls and the stuffed animals.  Even Timber is already showing a preference for the "boy" toys.  I caught him "brrrrmmmm-ing" a car back and forth the other day! 

And then there are the bugs.  Flora is an excellent worm-finder.  She will dig up a bit of dirt until she finds a worm or (exciting day!) a whole family of worms.  But she won't touch them.  She finds them and then Scout picks them up and puts them where she tells him to put them.  Scout also picks up spiders and pretty much any bug that he is able to catch while Flora squeals and prances if she sees a bug in her general vicinity.  But I guess maybe that's been modeled for her....

Anyway, I'm glad they're the way they are.  I like 'em. 

No comments: