Wednesday, July 20, 2011

seized

So.....Scout had a febrile seizure today -- a full-blown limbs twitching, eyes rolled back, teeth clenched, blue lips, drooling seizure.  I'm guessing it lasted less than two minutes but at the time I would have told you that it had been going on for two hours.  Yikes!

THANKFULLY I had read that febrile seizures (fever-induced seizures) are common in children under age 5 so I recognized what was happening and didn't panic.  HA!  Yeah right!  I totally panicked.  Well, not totally, but knowing what was happening and why it was happening didn't make it any easier on me.  Also thankfully, Flora and Timber were sleeping so Flora didn't have to witness it and worry about her brother.

As soon as it was over I called Chris and told him to come home quickly.  I didn't bother explaining a febrile seizure to him over the phone -- I just told him to come home.  I think he could tell something was wrong.  Funny thing -- while Scout was still "seizing" I was holding him in one arm and googling "febrile seizure" with my free hand.  Later I realized how silly I must have looked if anyone had seen me!  But no one did.

So, Scout stopped seizing, I called Chris, and then I called the doctor.  We just got home from our doctor visit and Scout is currently fever-free and acting chipper.  Our doctor said that febrile seizures are very common although it does make him slightly more likely to have another febrile seizure episode in the future.  BUT if he goes six months without having one then it is unlikely that he will have another one.  So if you are in the habit of praying for Scout, please remember to pray that he won't have another febrile seizure.

One thing I wanted to mention is that in the middle of his seizure while my heart was pounding I was very aware of a feeling of peace.  I am SO glad that 1) Someone holds Scout in the palm of His hand and 2) that I am NOT that someone!  I trust God with Scout's life so much more than I would ever trust myself or our doctors with it!

I know this is a rambling post but writing is somewhat cathartic for me and I just had to get this all out.  It's not really a "silly story" or a "memorable moment" but sometimes it's good to remember the scary times too.

No comments: