Wednesday, February 9, 2011

a pretty picture

I am reading a REALLY good book that is inspiring me to be a better mother. I'm not going to recommend the book to everyone because I think that different mothers need different kinds of books at different times. I'll just say it is the perfect book for me to be reading right now. I'm even taking notes! I'm pretty sure I haven't taken notes since college and I know that I've never taken notes on any book that I wasn't going to be tested on. So, yeah.....it's a good book.

I mentioned to Flora that we would be going to Poppy and Gigi's house next week. Mentioned! In passing, really! And I didn't even think Scout was in the room! But apparently he was because he asked several times throughout the evening if we were going to Poppy and Gigi's house soon. As I moved a sleeping Scout into his bed tonight he whispered, eyes closed and still asleep, "Mommy, I want to go to Gigi's house." I'm sure he's having sweet dreams filled with chocolate milk and freezer cookies.

And Flora FINALLY got to paint today!!! She's been asking to paint for a couple weeks and I kept telling her that we needed to get paint stuff at the store. Well, today I remembered that I had bought watercolors several months ago and never used them! I started Flora out while Scout was still asleep. She was so good at dipping her brush in the water in between colors. I barely had to explain it. She had so much fun and I felt bad for making her wait so long to paint.

When Scout woke up he got to "paint" with water and a paintbrush on colored construction paper. Eventually he'll catch on that he's not doing the same thing that Flora is doing but for now this is a much cleaner, easier way for Scout to paint. He was happy. He looks a little rough here, but remember that he just woke up from a long nap!

So we had a fun little afternoon project and now we have some beautiful new artwork decorating our oven vent.

Then tonight, Chris totally disregarded the blanket over the TV signaling a no-tv day and declared it to be Movie Night. Flora and Scout LOVE Movie Night. Basically, Movie Night means that Chris makes Kool-Aid and popcorn and we all watch a movie before bedtime. It's fun and the kids get really excited about the Kool-Aid and popcorn. (Secretly, I think it's just Chris' excuse for making and drinking a lot of Kool-Aid.)
So, we had a good day! Looking forward to warmer temperatures this weekend so that maybe we can all get out of the house for a while. Also, Chris and I talked last night about some safe measures we can take to cut down on the mosquito population in our backyard this summer. Ah, summer......such an abstract idea in the middle of February. Does it really get warm enough to wear tank tops? Really? It doesn't seem possible.....but I am anxious to be proved wrong!

Aaaaand, I thought that was the end of my blog but now I have to mention that I had to look up whether proved or proven should be used in that last sentence. English is tough sometimes.

1 comment:

Sara K. said...

I think you sound like a fun mommy! And I can't wait to paint with Flora and Scout sometime!!